Sunday, June 19, 2011

I Prayed in front of the Sto. Nino

     I always pass by the Sto. Nino in our church, every Sunday or any other day that I hear mass. I find Him so compassionate and kind looking. He has that magnetic pull upon me. Somehow, I find it hard to resist passing by Him. He is among the cutest looking Sto. Nino I've ever laid eyes on, and I've seen mostly the traditionally dressed Sto. Ninos or in the Philippines, different sizes of Palaboys, as they call Him there.

     I had 3 Sto. Ninos when I was in college. They were my alaga. I would always bring them to San Nicolas de Tolentino Church in January to have them blessed. I would always light 2 candles in St. Clement's Church, every Wednesday for Our Mother of Perpetual Help novena - one for the Sacred Heart, and the other for, you guessed it, Sto. Nino. I first saw the famed Sto. Nino de Cebu in the summer of 1989 - when I was there for my vacation before going to college. Little did I know that He would pave the way to what my life is now.

     Ranie went to college in Cebu, even if he is from Negros Oriental. He may not have been the ace student that I was but one thing amiable about him is his devotion to the Sto. Nino. He would always say a quick prayer there in the Basilica, no matter how busy he is. He may not be as spiritually rigid as I am, but his devotion to the Child Jesus is one thing that I will always be thankful for.

     It was Easter Sunday of 2001 when we went to the 7pm Yuppies mass at St. Michael's in Old Town Chicago. We loved hearing mass there since they have an awesome music ministry, always resulting to an inspiring liturgy. I was in a hurry since we still have to attend a late dinner party, and then drive back to work at 11pm. Usually, he would be the first to get to the car so we can leave early. Not this time, though. He asked me to walk with him to the front of the church, because he wanted to pray to the Sto. Nino. Knowing his devotion, I went, albeit begrudgingly. So, he knelt and prayed, while I was sitting and restlessly looking at my wristwatch. "Ay, ma late don ako kadya karon kun makaon pa kami tuya," I thought to myself. A few minutes later, I spoke up: "let's go!" "Lumuhod at magdasal ka kaya," was the reply. Just so we can go, I did as told, then he turned to me and said: "nagpaalam muna ako sa Boss. Now, will you marry me?"

     Wow! I wan't expecting to be proposed to in front of the Sto. Nino. I was half expecting maybe amidst a fancy dinner at the 95th Floor of the John Hancock or by the Museum Campus, with the Chicago skyline as the backdrop. Yet mine was in the company of the holy men and women of God, just after hearing an awe-inspiring liturgy, at Easter :)

     We gave our godparents Sto. Nino de Cebu statuettes as a token of them watching over us. Little did we know that we'll also get a cute Infant Jesus (the same image when he visited St. Gertrude's heart) as a present for our shower. We got married at St. Hyacinth Basilica, with the Sto. Nino present at the side altar, in His usual red attire. Maybe it was me, but I thought I saw Him smiling that Divine Mercy Sunday when we sang "Oh, for better, for worse, for rich or for poor, each day that passes, I'll love you more..."

     But this Sto. Nino at St. Vincent's Church is different. For one, He is clothed in pink and mint green (anything pastel, I'm sold)! And His blue eyes look to me with compassion when I am sad or dances when I am happy. They speak of unutterable love and promise that all is well and that the will of God in our life will be fulfilled in His most perfect way and time! I love to look at Him whenever Ranie touches His hand, while praying for His grace. I could tell a special bond exists between them. I could look and stare at Him forever, without getting tired. It seems like the more I look at Him, the more beautiful and radiant His face becomes. I am melting even just by the mere thought of it.


 
    My heart aches for a child, which for long we so patiently waited for because we are not willing to compromise our wants with what our conscience dictate us. I have been in this emotional roller-coaster ride for what seems like the longest time and I could not even begin to think of what Ranie thinks and feels while I cry uncontrollably. But through this all, the Sto. Nino has helped us weather through every moment of joy and tears! I completely believe that no matter what the struggle is, the Holy Infant walks alongside us so we can follow the path He Himself has paved for us!


No comments:

Post a Comment